Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Importance of Being Yourself

Each one of us was created by God for a distinct purpose (see Psalm 139).

Today I had a sequence of thoughts that went something like this :
Oh wait--I need to give you the backdrop. I admire Sheryl Crowe. She's been rocking hard for years! She has her own unique style. I'm talking style here, not Christian vs. non-Christian.
Ok--having said that, this is how my thoughts lined up:

I had a picture of Sheryl Crowe singing some Chris Tomlin song in just the same style that he uses. It was really depressing. It's like she had given up her style when she became a Christian.
If she is not a Christian at present, I really hope she joins us :) Wouldn't it be tragic, though, if after accepting Christ she gave up her own unique style?

So the Lord whispered to me this morning, "This is the importance of being yourself. The world will lose something unique and necessary if you are not true to your own personal style."

This could pertain to things other than music. What about your personality? What about your special gift in which you operate? It may not be like your neighbor's gift. In fact, it will never be. It may look the same, but it will still never be exactly the same.
So in the day to day business of life, let's remember that we need to be ourselves. I believe it gives God the most pleasure when we are ourselves...whatever that may look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment