Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sober

It's interesting that my blog today is based around a song that recently caught my attention. I've heard it several times, but not until a week ago did the Holy Spirit enlighten me through the lyrics and also through some other sources. They all tied in together.

The song is "Sober" by Pink. "The quiet scares me 'cause it screams the truth". Many people today are running from their own pain. As the title of a book describes it, "Emotions buried alive never die."

Besides the fact that the basic nature of drugs and alcohol (which technically IS a drug), can be addictive, there comes a point where one must choose.

Millions, perhaps billions of people are affected by drugs. Whether it is them or a loved one.
I was really able to understand some things in a deeper way after watching a biography of a child star that went crazy in his teens--living a life of drug dealing and even charged with murder. When he was interviewed (now being clean for 17 years), he revealed the trigger of his violence and addiction...he had been sexually molested as a child. His father didn't believe him, and he felt (and was) unprotected. His choice was to run to drugs.

Back to the song--"I'm safe, up high...nothing can touch me...No pain inside--you're like perfection."

Drugs may cause a person to feel all healed up...until they wear off. Then the party is over.

Personally I have been affected by drugs and alcohol. I've even had the choice to turn there, but...chose instead to turn to God for some emotional healing. God made us to be FILLED UP--not empty. Ephesians 5:18 says, "Don't be drunk with wine, but be filled with the Spirit."

There is an alternative to pain. For me, the road was long and took persistence to be free, but where the Spirit of the Lord is there is FREEDOM! I don't want to settle for a cheap substitute.
"Why do I feel this good sober?"

No comments:

Post a Comment