Friday, July 10, 2009

Continual Waterings of Divine Grace

That title sounds so eloquent. It did not come from me, but from Matthew Henry whose commentary I will cite at the end. The past 2 weeks the Lord has been trying to work something in me.
In the past I often have felt overwhelmed by circumstances (patterns developed in childhood). The other night we watched a movie where a woman was trapped by a man. I won't go into the details, but I literally felt like something was choking me--like a snake had wrapped around my neck. I could not breathe and Brian had to pray me back to health.
Since that incident (which had never happened before) I have wondered why it happened. This week during a trying circumstance God gave me these verses. Please look them up if you are able.
Isaiah 27:1-5 has come up twice lately. It says that God will destroy the serpent and instead make Israel a vineyard of red wine that He will water every moment. The briers and thorns He would destroy, in order to make her a vineyard. Henry says,"God also takes care of the fruitfulness of this vineyard. We need the continual waterings of Divine Grace; if these be at any time withdrawn we wither and come to nothing." We need the wine of His presence. It helps us not get entangled in the "briers and thorns" of this world (circumstances). His presence can deliver us from every bondage and yoke! He will replace the briers and thorns in our heart with His most intoxicating presence. Verse 5 says that we must "take hold" of His strength. It is available every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment