Monday, July 27, 2009

I Wasn't Expecting This...

Do you like predictability? I do. However, I am finding that to truly live from my heart I have to let go of expectations and control.
Over the past several months, we have been weighing some mission-oriented options. The reality is beginning to set in, and I have had questions and concerns. Today the Lord gently reminded me of the vow I made in college to do missions. It was a particular day in our Baptist college chapel, and I was very sincere. So was the Lord.
Today God asked me, "Why are you fighting change? this might be the avenue I use for missions." In John 3:8 Jesus says,"The wind blows (breathes) where it wills; and though you hear its sound, yet you neither know where it comes from nor where it is going. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."
Over the past several years I have gotten used to questions like, "What are you doing now...?" I just smile and give an update. I think we all want some sort of stability in life, but our stability must primarily come from Christ.
What about you? Are you hard to figure out? Are you full of visions and dreams and do you actually go out on a limb sometimes? That may be a good thing. I would dare say you might be the kind of person Jesus was talking about in John 3. It is great to be a person who lives by the Spirit--a person who lives from the heart regardless of previous plans or expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment