Thursday, March 5, 2009

Papa

When I woke up this morning, I sat down to pray and wait. I heard the word "Papa". I began to let my mind wander, thinking about the man I used to call Papa (my grandfather) until he died several years ago. He was quiet, but hilarious. He had the driest sense of humor and a lot of jelly beans by his side.  I would enjoy our visits--he taught me how to play checkers and win. I would ask for one jelly bean, then another, then another--asking politely every time. Each time he would say "yes".
 The verse that kept coming to my mind was Matthew 6:32- "People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met(The Message)." The verses surrounding this one are worth reading. He knows our needs and desires (our jelly beans in life...) Verse 33 says that if we seek HIS kingdom all these things will be given to us. As we seek him he is our reward, but a jelly bean every now and then always adds some fun to this life!

1 comment: