Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Best Is Yet To Come

We buried my Grandmother yesterday, but it is even more important to realize that she left us a few days prior. I picture her dancing in His presence, free from struggles and oppression. Going through this time of loss, I realized some things. First, death is not as scary as I thought. If what I believe as a Christian is really true, then I ONLY have things to look forward to, not to dread.

Secondly, I realized that the only things in life that really matter are those people in whom we have invested, and the things we do for God. In front of my Grandmother's casket were her three children. Behind them, her grandchildren. In my heart, her words of wisdom and her legacy.

Brian and I are also planning on moving very soon. During this season, I have realized that we have to let go of the old things in order to step into the new. Philippians 3:13-14 comes to mind. It says, "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

It is an upward call, not downward. Anytime I start thinking "downward"--thoughts of not moving forward, hanging on to the past...It's like God says "Upward and Onward!"

In times like these, we come face to face with the reality of our faith. Do we really believe the best is yet to come? I choose to believe that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment